It’s occurred to me that a) I’ve not posted here for a while, and b) I’ve never quite managed to write the post I keep meaning to about how I find music to listen to these days.
So here it is, knocked together in a few minutes over a lunchbreak. So don’t expect a novel or, if I’m honest, any kind of continuity.
I listen to a lot of music. I’ve written about that before. The constant challenge is marrying up discovering new music with being able to seamlessly listen to music without having to nursemaid it the whole time.
Lately, I’ve been using spotify’s “discover” section a fair bit… mostly because it’s easy to get to and my workplace doesn’t block it. Thankfully. However, it’s got a weird knack of being both transient and persistent. Recommendations I’m interested in just vanish without a trace, whilst ones I’m not interested in just keep cropping up
It also doesn’t help that much with letting me look back over my listening for a period of time and determine what I might want to pay more attention to in future.
So I got into a habit – monthly playlists. If I find something that grabs my attention (or just doesn’t make me switch off) then I bung it into a “new finds” playlist for that month. I’ve been doing this since about last November.
This means that I can look back over them and think “Wow, I listened to a lot of style-X last month and was starting to get quite miserable and mopey. Time for a change!”. It also means that I can say “I was really in a good mood a couple of months ago – I’d like to get that back” or “I’m getting a bit shouty. I was mellower in December – let’s rewind!” and then just pull up a playlist from an appropriate month and see what’s in it.
It’s been working pretty well for me so far. Even better, I can share the playlists. Which I do. So, without further ado, here are the past seven months of my work-based listening material…
Seven Months of Soundtrack
- New Finds – 11/2013 (Post-rock / Ambient / Downtempo)
- New Finds – 12/2013 (Progressive rock / Symponic metal / Prog-metal / Post-rock / Darkwave / Electronica with a side of chiptunes)
- New Finds – 01/2014 – Part 1 (non-anglo-american metal / weird electronica / post-rock / game soundtracks & electronica)
- New Finds – 01/2014 – Part 2 (post-rock / electronica / shoegaze / dream pop / Experimental Rock / Guitar Virtuoso)
- New Finds – 02/2014 (bleepy ambient / downtempo / soundscapes / guitar virtuoso / electronica / 80s retro electronica / post-rock / Piano / Progressive Rock)
- New Finds – 03/2014 (Guitar & Bass Virtuoso / Ambient / Post-Rock / Hard Rock / Instrumental & Soundtrack / Blues Rock / 80s Retro Electronica / Heavy Rock / Electronica / Southern Rock / Modern Psychedelic Rock / Progressive rock)
- New Finds – 04/2014 (Post Rock / Hard Rock / Psychedelic Rock / Progressive rock / Guitar Virtuoso / Heavy Rock / Progressive Metal / Alt. Prog / Doom Metal)
- New Finds – 05/2014 (Post Rock / Ambient / Drone / Progressive Rock / Progressive Metal / SynthPop)